Harajuku Fashion

Finding myself in Lolita Fashion

Hello and welcome to my first blog entry. It has taken me a while to think of what to write about......However, I thought I would start my first entry off with my love of Lolita fashion. You may ask, what is lolita fashion?? Lolita fashion is Japanese street fashion, found on the streets of Harajuku, Tokyo, Japan. It is heavily influenced by the Victorian/ Rocco era clothing from Europe.
Lolita fashion is adorned with lace, patterns, and prints. It is also available in a variety of colours, cuts and styles ready for the lolita enthusiast to get their hands on. So, that's a brief description in a nut shell.

So, how did this fashion change my life??? Well, it was the year 2012 and I recently broke up with my boyfriend at the time. I saw this as a chance to re-invent myself and put my life back on track. I went to my local Pop culture convention, and went to a panel on Lolita fashion. They had girls from the local lolita community running this panel. It was love at first sight, with the fashion. I could see this as a way to express myself how I wanted. I wanted to feel more feminine with the clothes I wear,  and also a way to make new friends. This was another side of Japanese pop culture I had never thought to look into and learn about.

After the panel had finished, I asked the organiser how I could join this new and yet interesting community. I was asked to find the person on Facebook, add as a friend and then invited to become a member of the page. The young lady I befriended that day, we a still friends to this day and has been and wonderful inspiration, and guide on my journey into the world of lolita fashion.

 After the convention had finished, I quickly and eagerly went home and started researching where I could get hold of my first piece of lolita clothing. I managed to buy my first one from a dodgy seller, it fitted me more like a sack, and admittedly to this day, I still hate my first lolita dress. I posted the picture of me in it on FB, the comments I received we really nice. However, I was not satisfied. I wanted to look like the girls I had seen at the convention and on the internet. I still had lots to learn about this fashion.

This is a picture of my first ever Lolita coord. The first picture that went on FB. Kind of embarrassing really.........circa 2012

Fast forward to 2018. I have now come a long way and have defined a style that suites me. I know what looks good and what doesn't. I feel more educated on how to work with the style, my body type and how to deport myself at Lolita meets. Each time I am getting better and better at doing make up, something I was not interested in learning about.  I also have my friends to thank who have taught me a lot about this style of clothing.  They have helped my grow in the style and as a person. They are truely an inspiration to me and I am very lucky to have them by my side. I have now found myself in Lolita fashion.

This is me now. I've come a long way in learning how to coord this fashion!! Circa 2018

Thank you for reading my first blog post. Please stay tuned for more!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brand In Review: Lady Sloth