The Petticoat
 
Hello everyone, I'm back with another post!! Yay!! When I first started in Lolita fashion five years ago, one of the things I thought I could get away with was a PETTICOAT!! I thought my bum looked big enough as it was ,and did not need to increase the size, and make it bigger with a petticoat. BUT little did I know that I needed a petticoat to give the dress some SHAPE. Because I'm a plus sized Lolita, I don't need an overly large and poofy petticoat. However, some lolitas wear two or even three pettis underneath on the quest for their desired look they want to achieve
 
One of the mistakes a lot of beginners make and often overlook is the petticoat. As I mentioned earlier, it gives the dress shape. This is important as it gives the look of the lolita aesthetic, and the iconic silhouette every one is familiar with. Beginners will often purchase a dress, minus the petti. If you're going to buy that dress you've had your eye on for ages, buy the petti at the same time. When I first started, I used what was a romantic look ballet costume tutu that I had cut up and modified\ altered to "look" like a petti. However, it did not last very long. It fell apart in a matter of months, and I ended up throwing it out. So in hine sight, I learnt a valuable lesson; spend the money to buy a "real, good quality petticoat"..............We all learn from our mistakes, right?????
 
 
So, I went ahead and bought a proper lolita petti. I was amazed it how it made my dresses look and also that shape I was after with the lolita silhouette. It made me feel more confident to continue to learn about the fashion and see my style evolve over time.
 
Related image

 
However, there are two different types on pettis that beginner lolitas often get confused on what to buy. There is bell shaped, which is also referred to as cupcake petticoat. This petti puffs out evenly all the way around gives an even shape to the dress you are wearing. There is also the A- line petti, as its name suggest, it looks like the letter A, with less volume up the top and more volume towards the bottom.
 
Image result for Lolita petticoats cartoon
Image result for Lolita fashion petticoats
This is an example of the type of dress/ skirt the petticoat should be used for (A- line).

Image result for Lolita petticoats cartoon
A- line petti
Related image
This is an example of the type of dress/ skirt it should be used for (Bell shaped).
 
Image result for Lolita petticoats cartoon
Bell shaped petti



The general rule of thumb is that the shape of your dress determines what shape petti you need!!
 
 
 
Also to keep in mind when purchasing a petti:
 
 
  • Don't go to places like costume shops, ebay or bodyline to buy a petti. These places are cheap, nasty, don't look as good, deflate easily and won't last long. Even if it means holding off for a few more months to afford a good quality one.
  • Don't buy square dancing pettis. They are too heavy and don't give the right shape you need for your dress/ skirt. 
  • Depending on your style of lolita you go with, black for more goth/ EGL style.White for more sweet\ classic lolita. This will blend in and look more nice with the colourway/s you choose to wear.
This then brings me to my next point, where to buy a good quality petti from:
 
 
 
 
 
Most of these sites are reasonably affordable and reasonable quality. Good luck on the quest for more poof!!
 
I hope that this blog has been helpful, in particular to the newbies to the fashion.
 
Until next time ruffle butts!!
 
Have a lovely lolita day!!
 













 


 
 


Comments

  1. Great article. I would suggest adding MeLikesTea to your list though, as they are a top choice for oetticoape

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kiera, your article clearly tells me the difference between the two types of petticoats. : ) And for where to buy the petticoat, I highly recommend our website www.devilinspired.com, where there're more options for choosing a suitable petticoat with the right length and style. : ) If you need more research or you have more questions about shopping at devilinspired, please feel free to contact me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Brand In Review: Lady Sloth